Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Good and the Bad of it

Today letterboxing for me was a mixed bag. Good over all, but with some bad news. My daughter joined me today on my letterboxing adventure and we bagged six great boxes and really enjoyed some nice places. Also learned a little local history. I think I got her hooked.

The bad news happened when we got back and I decided that I had time to upgrade my Col Williams Monument Lb planted near Lake George, NY, with a new box and logbook as I was informed that there had been a lot of activity recently. When I went to retrieve it, it was gone! This is my first box that I have lost. This was a high volume Lb that was in a fairly guarded location but a tree came down near the box and removed a lot of the covering brush. If the box had not been re hidden carefully it would have been seen. I am hoping it was just a muggle, but I didn’t see any evidence that the box was scattered. So I don’t know.

I am not going to replace this one. It is a good location for a box that maybe could be planted a little more cleverly. This was one of my first boxes I planted and it had a white lid so if it was not covered, especially after the tree took out some of the understory near the box, it would have stood out like a beacon. Now I camouflage my plants with black paint so they are a little more difficult to see.

I am a little disappointed as I had a lot of nice stamps impressions in the logbook and received a lot of positive complements on the placement but that’s the nature of the game. It had to happen sooner or later.

No comments: