Monday, May 26, 2008

Battling Black Flies

Its black fly season here in the Northeast and they are annoying. Do not let them keep you from enjoying the outdoors and doing some of your favorite hobbies. I personally have high tolerance and can deal with them, but even I have my limits and have to go to the bug spray. Here is how I apply it. Since I am in the woods I can guarantee you that I am sweating and I don't like bug spray in my eyes. I apply the bug spray to my hat, yes wear a hat, wear a hat, wear a hat, to the back of you neck and on the side of you head including your ears. I don't apply it to my face. I then hit my arms, and even though I wear long pants and gaiters, I still spray there to keep the ticks off. This works fairly well with black flies and misquitos, but not deer flies, you will need a hat to stop them. Hat! Hat! Hat!

Now, even if its hot, you can wear long sleeve shirts, especially those made out of spots fabric that wicks moister away. It really is not that much hotter and you don't have to worry about your arms getting gnawed on.

Wear a bug head net. I am seeing more and more of them and no they are not a fashion statement, and you may look funny, but you won't be choking on black flies so who is the cool one now?!!!

Lastly, they are a pain but you are human and you have the ability to mentally prepare yourself and NOT let this little pest ruin your outdoor adventures.

No comments: