Sunday, November 30, 2008

The North Country National Scenic Trail

This is a trail system that is a east-west version of the Appalachian Trail. This trail beginning in North Dakota and runs currently into the Finger Lakes region of New York State. The next leg of this trail is being planned through the Adirondacks to Crown Point. One of the routes that are being planned is through the West Canada Lake region I am not sure exactly which trail they would like to route this through, but it looks like that the NCNST will cross the NPT at South Lake and go east via the French Louie Trail. There are three other routes being planned and I think that the general feeling is that the State does not want the trail routed through here, but I don't know that from any direct communication.

My feeling on this is mixed. I do not think that this trail will bring in the huge numbers of thru hikers, however, if the NCNST portion that leads into the W.C. Lakes area makes parking and access easier, this may make this remote, glorious area more accessible by others who have no interest in hiking the NCNST. The nice thing about areas like the West Canada Lake area is that it is so difficult to get to so that only those who are more serious outdoors men will work to hike in. Well worth the work. I worry that if the State takes too much of the work out, that this area and areas like the West Canada Lakes will loose their remoteness that make them so special to people who are willing to work to get to them.

Right now the route is up for public comment and I think that after the route will be announced and work will begin. Most of which, I believe, will be from volunteers from the ADK along with the already stretched thin DEC crews.

I will keep and eye on the goings on a little closer and report back as I learn more myself.

No comments: