Sunday, November 2, 2008

Checks on Letterboxes and the other hunting season waring!!

I check my Col. Williams and Fort George Park Letterboxes today and both were dry and in good shape and look like they had a lot of visitors this year. There was one thing for both of these boxes. They were both left out on top of the ground!! Please re hide in the described hiding spot as good or better than you found it. Fort George Park could have easily been seen by a muggle. I am glad now that I painted the lid black.

While I was doing this I also took my dog for a walk. I cut down toward Lake George and came out at a DEC auxiliary parking lot at a swamp that I used to trap 30 years ago. My dog charged into the water and I ran after him, and noticed that the area he was in was a wet area from a fresh beaver dam and he ran down a beaver run. I instinctively looked down and there it was a leg hold trap. My dog luckily jumped over it. He was coming out and heading right fom the trap. I grabbed it and allowed him to get out and then put the trap back. What the hell was I thinking! It is trapping season in this area and you don't bring dogs next to any backwoods water. Also, walk with you dog on a leash if you are in a no hunting area as there could be traps out there off the trails.

I was an idiot!. I could have caused my dog a bunch of pain, I also disturbed a trapper's set...I had to sorry buddy...I do not trap anymore, but I am pro trapping and hunting. These are the primary methods to control wildlife populations. You may not like it but it is the best way to keep the numbers in check. By doing that trappers help keep wildlife population healthy and keep diseases such as rabies from becoming a concern.

Anyway leash your dog for their safety.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the trapper was an idiot for leaving his set an area where anyone, tourist, visitors to the park, etc. could easily be caught.


Sounds like a lazy trapper.

Matt said...

I agree that I wouldn't have placed a trap there, but in all fairness to the trapper, this was a bit of an out of the way place in the off tourist season.

No harm no faul and I left a little wiser.