Saturday, October 18, 2008

Being in the Season

When I graduated from college I took a job as a land surveyor. It started out as an outside job and that is just what I wanted as I was looking for that type of job. One of the features that I liked about working outside was I became more in tune with the environment: Really the seasons. I felt the bite of winter, the explosiveness of spring, the lushness of summer, and the abundance of fall. I lost that for a while.

Summer for me even when I was young always met work and I really didn’t like summers back then or up until 5 years ago. Summer met hard work in hot conditions whether it was in the field as a surveyor or in the inferno of a bread bakery that I worked at for ten years. I first was in a hurry for time to pass as most young people are because I and they seem to be in a hurry to pay their dues so they may attain an artificial goal that they have set for themselves. Then I would wish summer away as it was so hectic and hot. There is a point to this I promise please read on. I found myself watching the seasons go by faster and faster and now at middle age I would like them to slow a bit. I am sure that the feeling of time slipping by too fast is very common among people of our age.

Up until 5 years ago I would look forward to the cooler weather of September and could not wait for my favorite month to come, October so I could enjoy the cool weather, Halloween and all the stuff that goes with being in fall in the Northeast. Until 5 years ago I let this time be too busy, and all of a sudden it would be late October and our Halloween decorations were not put up and we hurried to decorate and then, poof it was Thanksgiving and I remember thinking to myself, “Next year I will enjoy the season more.” Next year came and went and I would repeat this phrase.

When I hit 40 I basically said enough of this crap! I am going to enjoy each an every season regardless of work and whatever became an obstacle in my enjoyment of the outside in the season. How did I do this one of you may ask?

I first took charge of physical self. I started watching what I ate and walked more. It was during these walks, once I was in better shape that I began to pay attention to the entire environment. I noticed the trees; the birds; animals; smells and a plethora of other outdoor stimulations that tickle the senses and made me aware of my surroundings. Besides my physical self I at this time seemed to work on my mental self with regards to immersing myself within my surroundings. One of the actions that I have taken for myself was to become a volunteer for the Lake George Land Conservancy as a Preserve Steward for a local land preserve. I would go up and do work on the trails, or just go up there for some exercise, I make sure that I go up there once a week. This has helped me immerse myself in the seasons again almost the same way I was in tune with my environment when I was a surveyor 15 years ago. I feel the seasons change because I now notice the strength of the sun when it shines on me or notice the different smells of the season. Each season has a smell and feeling to it. Something that outdoorsman, farmers, loggers and the like know and understand. I now, even when I take my Newfoundland for a walk in the neighborhood just simply immerse myself in the moment of the walk; to take in the seasonal sensations and not think about anything; to exist and observe in the moment. I think that this is just another way of living the old saying “Stop and smell the roses.” I would like to add to that stop and smell the roses before your life passes you by.

All I can say is that I am enjoying each season now for what it is. Even when I drive to work I will roll the windows down so I can get a hint of the smells that the world gives to me. That way I am enjoying the world much more.

3 comments:

corin said...

I have to comment on this entry because that is what has happened to me. I started hiking after my grandfather died of cancer. In his last days, he took the time to find the beauty in the sunrise he could see out his window. from then on I decided to "stop and smell the roses" and begin REALLY looking at the daily beauty that is around us in this gorgeous area we live in. I just hiked PKR last week and found it in wonderful condition and a great hike. its blogged :) I hope you check out my site.

Matt said...

Thanks for taking the time to read this essay. I am going to check out your blog

billco said...

I know what you mean. Doesn't make sense for people to be always looking ahead for something that isn't going to mean anything more in the long run than what's going on in present. The older I get, the more I realize that its the little things in life that I once thought insignificant or even irritating that mean the most to me when I remember the past.

I spent a lot of in the woods when I was younger. I enjoy it more now. I notice everything that goes on around me and appreciate almost all of it for what it is. I even walk around the copperheads, which is saying a lot for a Southern boy who grew up with the notion that the only good snake was a dead one.