Sunday, June 8, 2008

Water is soooo important

I just finished a post on some heavy trail work that I did on my Pilot Knob Ridge Blog, and I thought that it would be a good time to remind people that when they go out on an insanely hot day to bring and drink lots of water. When I was doing this trail work it was HHH and 90 F and I was moving heavy logs and cutting wood with an axe. In 5 hours I drank 4 qt of water and without being too graphic I sweated all, I mean all of it out. Now what is important is all the time I drank my water I was not very thirsty, but I made myself drink. When it is that hot when you feel thirst and you get that headache it is too late you are dehydrated.

I learned my lesson two weeks previous, I had brought only two qt with me and when I ran out I kept going for another 1.5 hrs until I had a headache and my legs began to cramp and I still had a 3 mile hike out. This time I made myself drink and drink a lot and when I ran out I was done with the trail work. 90 deg F and HHH weather is not something you want to mess with.

If I wish to stay in the woods longer next time on a hot day and work the way I did I will have to bring more water or plan my activities around where there is water more than I would if the weather was cooler.

Drink a lot and drink often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't Agree More. I just took a hike at a local state park. On a trail listed as strenuous, many people tried to walk to the top with nothing but their own stupid asses.