Saturday, June 20, 2009

New Trail and Bushwhacking

I have not really been an outdoorsmen lately as work has taken a lot of my time. Finally, the catering events and major functions are over for a while and I am ready for some of doors fun. I did do a little catfishin' last week. Did ok, of course the big one got away...no really it did :-)

Yesterday I went geocaching at the Lake George Rec Park where I had been before. There was a new set of GC's planted that took me up to the summit of Prospect Mountain. A approach that I have never done. Also I looked for and found my first Hybrid Cache/letterbox. I would like to see letterboxers not be so adverse to the idea of using GPS coordinates in their clues, but at this time many letterboxers have a negative view towards this. I digress...

Anyway these geocaches where placed about 350 meters apart (Yes I said meters I am on a personal quest to go metric. And I was born and raised in the US) which I think are too close, however this placer hid the caches at strategic points that brought me up the mountain perfectly. The geocacher actually says that that is why they were placed there.

After learning the new trail, at the last Geocahe, I calculated my bearing and bushwhacked to Berry Pond a new acquisition by the Lake George Land Conservancy. I did pretty good for a 2.3 km hike through the bush. I hit the pond at about where I was trying to get to. I then, being lazy took a direction with the GPS and followed that bearing out to my car.

I will talk about that later this week. All and all a good day and I was able to work on my land navigation skills a bit.

1 comment:

Tripper said...

Ahhh, a fellow cacher. Interesting. I've been caching on and off since May 2002 under the nickname, Tripper. It's a great way to explore the outdoors. I find it often leads me into areas that I would never have discovered on my own. Cheers and happy caching.

Here's a link to my GC profile.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.aspx?guid=638ca225-5ff7-4a82-a2f7-981b514f25b1