Friday, September 26, 2008

Day 4 The Hike Out

All that rain that we had didn't go anywhere before we hiked out. The trail was covered with water. The little dried up stream beds were now fill with 2 and 3 feet of water. My trail companions were very resourceful at keeping their feet dry. There were more industrious than a platoon of SEABEE's and could build a bridge out of thin air. After about 3 miles into our odyssey, I had enough with the high wire bridges and started to slog through the water and once my feet were wet I just marched in a straight line. Guide saw things my way and followed suit, but Trailblazer, must had walked an extra 3 miles to keep her feet out of water.

Even though the extra water made the travel more difficult, it also made the woods more beautiful. We stopped many times to gaze at the small waterfalls that were normally the providence of the spring runoff and not common in mid-August. We also stopped many times to see the huge trees, some 4 and 5 feet in diameter. I have never seen so many trees so large.

We made it out tired and footsore, but very happy. This 4 day trip into the heart of the Adirondacks was a very fulfilling experience for me. One that I will remember and repeat soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow 3 feet of water i can imagine that