Saturday, August 9, 2008

Took a quick run up Black Mt.

Today day was a rare day here in the Southeastern Adirondacks this summer...it didn't rain. I had an opportunity to hike Black Mt from the Lakeside trail and I took it. I used the opportunity to check a letterbox that I planted at the summit, but in July a boxer said that they were unable to locate it.

The air was cool and crisp and the blue sky was only sprinkled with the harmless clouds when I started. I hit this hard as I didn't have a lot of time, plus I wanted to get a good aerobic workout. I made it 3.3 miles up in 1 hr 20 min, without much problem. Actually it took me almost as long to hike down as the rocks were very slippery. I usually don't like to hike this way but since this was such a short hike, and I have a major hiking trip later this summer I needed the workout more than the scenery. HOWEVER! I was able to spend a beautiful and quiet 25 min on the top alone enjoying the views of the Adirondacks and White Mts in stunning solitude.

Also, I am happy to say that the Black Mt Firetower letterbox is sound and in great shape. Infact no one has found it as yet.

No comments: